The structural timbers used in the cottages were reclaimed timber from a local salmon pen and have been submerged in salt water for 25 years. The large roof timbers were floated from two miles away, they were cleaned and store for 3 years in preparation for the build. Most of the stone and rock used was sourced on the Croft or within a few miles. While some of the stone was recycled from an old ruined croft house, that was last inhabited by Wilma and Norman Macleod in the 1950’s. The roofs are highly insulated and finished using the soil and turf from the croft. Not only sourcing local materials we also used local trades to ensure high craftsmanship and a low carbon footprint throughout the build.
The fair morn was built on the Clyde in 1948 as a ring netter for the herring industry on the west coast of Scotland. She fished alongside her sister ship the New Dawn, these were the last of the wooden boats built for the herring industry. Martin’s uncle Ken purchased her in the 70’s and fished her for prawns in Kylesku and Lochbroom. As a young boy Martin would help paint the boat, mend the creels, salted the bait and had the odd day at sea on her. She then spent a few years supplying the klondyke factory ships that were anchored in Lochbroom during the seasonal fishing period with provisions crew changes. She was then beached for maintenance and never returned to the sea after being battered by south westerly storms where she remains in the front of the cottages today.